The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life Author: Visit Amazon's Susan Anderson Page | Language: English | ISBN:
0425172287 | Format: EPUB
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life Description
About the Author
Susan Anderson, CSW, is a psychotherapist who has specialized in helping clients deal with heartbreak, loss and abandonment for more than 25 years. She has led workshops on abandonment recovery, conducts seminars and lectures, and has appeared on radio and television speaking on the related issues of addiction, parenting and abandonment.
- Paperback: 352 pages
- Publisher: Berkley Trade; 1 edition (March 1, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0425172287
- ISBN-13: 978-0425172285
- Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 5.2 x 0.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
I am a classic abandonment case. Parents separated as a kid, we moved around constantly, was abused by many people, suffered multiple heartbreaks and friendship breaks that I finally became a closed off, untrusting woman.
My life was very unhappy. Not being able to trust people is a vicious cycle and deep down, I really wanted friends I could trust. My social and relationship life also sucked. I was untrusting in relationships but yet needy once I got entrenched and perhaps as a result of that, would subsequently be tossed away, like thrash.
I was very bitter. I joined therapy but couldn't seem to let go of the resentment I felt for all the pain I'd gone through.
So I picked up this book and FINALLY, someone understood what I was going through. Every "crazy" feeling I had experienced in the past, including wanting lovers that had treated me despicably, were explained in the book. I realized that even though I put up a front to the world, I was still grieving past hurts and some of them went all the way back to my childhood
I felt that I could finally be free of the demons that had clung to me. Susan Anderson really gets it but when it comes down to the exercises she recommends, in my humble opinion, she falls short.
The first two are okay even though the withdrawal exercise makes you feel like you are cultivating a dual personality. The third one for internalizing, was highly, highly disappointing. It was very abstract and I failed to see the connection between dreaming of a house and gaining a stronger sense of self.
I was very disappointed but I was determined to make myself learn the exercise, if it would mean getting better.
The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life Preview
Link
Please Wait...