Montana Road and Recreation Atlas Author: Benchmark Maps (Firm) | Language: English | ISBN:
0929591666 | Format: PDF
Montana Road and Recreation Atlas Description
About the Author
Benchmark Maps is a publishing company based in Santa Barbara, California. The company currently publishes detailed atlases for eleven states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. Benchmark Maps got its start in 1995, and has sold over two million maps and atlases. Road conditions and recreation opportunities for all atlas titles are thoroughly field-checked by Benchmark staff for accuracy.
- Paperback: 128 pages
- Publisher: Benchmark Maps; 2nd edition (January 1, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0929591666
- ISBN-13: 978-0929591667
- Product Dimensions: 15.4 x 10.8 x 0.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
I've reviewed the other Benchmark maps, but seeing how I live in Montana, I'd like to tell you about my experience with this map here. I've been a long time fan of Benchmark maps and think I have every state except Utah. This map of Montana is far better than common atlas counterparts you'll see out there. I'm actually on my second copy for Montana, one's a duct taped field version and the other's my home reference. I like having paper maps and still make an effort to navigate with them on occasion.
I use this to plan out camping trips fairly extensively and have identified some cool areas with it. Most campgrounds are marked, as are fishing holes, raft camps, ranches, nuclear missile sites and other recreational or interesting things worth knowing about an area. The rivers and creeks are well defined and will be an indispensable reference for the fly fishermen who seeks to explore uncharted, challenging waters. State and BLM land is fairly easily identified and all forests are clearly marked. Many major hiking trails and trail systems are displayed on the maps and most geographically interesting things are identified as well. If you like to get out and explore or you're an outdoorsman/outdoorswoman in Montana, there's really no other map for you.
The shaded relief maps found in the Benchmark maps are incredibly easy to read for elevation and landscape contours. I've criticized the elevation coloring of higher elevations on other Benchmark state maps, and Montana is no exception. The problem is everything from 6000 feet up is white, so you can't see the difference between a 6,000' peak and a 10K' peak. It's probably even more important here as a fair bit of our land exceeds 6,000 feet. But nonetheless, it's easy to figure out where you're at within the terrain.
Montana Road and Recreation Atlas Preview
Link
Please Wait...