Lover Mine: Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8 Author: | Language: English | ISBN:
B003JOAJXC | Format: EPUB
Lover Mine: Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8 Description
The hot new novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood by the number-one New York Times best-selling author.
John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown. Taken in by The Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was-or his true identity.
Xhex has long steeled herself against the attraction to John Matthew. Until fate intervenes and she discovers that love, like destiny, is inevitable.
- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 21 hours and 56 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Penguin Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: April 27, 2010
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B003JOAJXC
RATING: 4.5 STARS
Lover Mine picks up a few weeks after Lover Avenged left off, where Xhex has been abducted by Lash, the evil son of the Omega. She is being held in Lash's brownstone bound by a magical spell. She is trapped in a bedroom invisible to all except Lash. She is determined to fight him with everything she has in hopes of finding a way out or until the brotherhood finds her. Lash's purpose for abducting Xhex is vengeance. Xhex killed his lover and he plans to take his revenge on her slowly and painfully. But Xhex puts up a vicious fight and he finds himself falling for her in his sick sadistic way.
John Matthew is hell bent on finding Xhex. He is not sure if she is alive or dead but he is determined to bring her home one way or another. He has never openly shared his feelings for Xhex with others but when he gets Xhex's named tattooed on his back in the old language, his boys Blay and Qhuinn have a good idea of his feelings for her. Still, John Matthew does not ask the brothers for help in finding her, choosing instead to do it his own way, on his own terms.
Qhuinn and Blay have shared a deep bond of friendship since before their transition. But this relationship is complicated by Blay's feelings for Qhuinn that go far beyond friendship. He has come to terms with the fact that he is gay and he is in love with Qhuinn. Qhuinn has always been promiscuous even knowing on some level how hurtful it is for Blay. But, there may be reasons for why Qhuinn behaves the way he does. When Qhuinn's cousin Saxton asks Blay out on a date, Qhuinn's protectiveness toward Blay kicks into high gear, claiming he doesn't want Blay to be hurt by Saxton. In all honestly though, jealously is at the root of his behavior.
***SPOILERS aplenty!
So before I start getting death threats on here, let me just preface this review by saying that I am truly a diehard BDB fan. While Ward is never going to win a Pulitzer, the woman can tell a story like nobody's business. She has managed to create an utterly unique and provocative world in which this series is set, not to mention a DYNAMITE cast of characters. These stories are not your typical warm and fuzzy, formulaic romance novels because she doesn't shy away from putting her characters in some pretty intense situations that really move the reader emotionally. I've thoroughly enjoyed this series, and each year I've looked forward to the next installment. Yes, Lover Enshrined was a minor aberration...but with Lover Avenged I thought Ward was back on track. Then along came Lover Mine... (Sigh)....
What a mess.
Let's start with John Matthew. LOVE his character. I thought he was the best thing since Zsadist, and his character development since way back in book 2 had me captivated. That said, I was certain his story would be nothing short of exceptional. Well, John-boy...you got ROBBED. He's a survivor with a heart of gold, who I thought we would see mature into a man, but in Lover Mine he still seemed juvenile. I also had my doubts about the John/Xhex union, but I thought Ward would pull it off...Not even close. Almost immediately-within the first few chapters-I knew something was amiss. In previous books you can practically see the steam rise off the pages with all the sexual tension Ward manages to generate with her characters. Instead, I was bored. Unlike a lot of the readers (as it now seems), I actually like Xhex. She's a breath of fresh air among an endless expanse of damsel-in-distress. I thought, now here's a girl who can kick some a**.
Lover Mine: Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 8 Preview
Link
Please Wait...