Pines Author: | Language: English | ISBN:
B0090CJQD6 | Format: EPUB
Pines Description
Wayward Pines, Idaho, is quintessential small-town America - or so it seems. Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrives in search of two missing federal agents, yet soon is facing much more than he bargained for. After a violent accident lands him in the hospital, Ethan comes to with no ID and no cell phone. The medical staff seems friendly enough, but something feels...off. As the days pass, Ethan's investigation into his colleagues' disappearance turns up more questions than answers. Why can't he make contact with his family in the outside world? Why doesn't anyone believe he is who he says he is? And what's the purpose of the electrified fences encircling the town? Are they keeping the residents in? Or something else out? Each step toward the truth takes Ethan further from the world he knows, until he must face the horrifying possibility that he may never leave Wayward Pines alive...
- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 8 hours and 33 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Brilliance Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: August 21, 2012
- Whispersync for Voice: Ready
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0090CJQD6
I did not finish the book. I have read in multiple places that the ending is quite a twist, but just can't be bothered for a number of reasons.
1. the protagonist is unlikeable. Now, I have read books with anti-hero or unlikeable protagonists, but usually that is where you are meant not to like the protagonist or feel for the protagonist or identify with the protagonist. Here, it is clear we are supposed to like, identify with and feel for Ethan. Here are some reasons why I could not do any of that:
2. He is a federal agent, but acts like a spoiled child from the get-go. In what world do you walk into a hotel and expect to be given a free room with no identification, no means of payment, etc? Merely by saying "I'm a federal agent", as if that entitles you to anything you want?
3. Same answer with regard to the local sheriff. At the beginning of the book, before he knows what is going on, he again believes the local sheriff must take him at his word and do what he says because he states "i'm a federal agent."
4. He repeatedly thinks to himself that "I"m a federal agent, these people have to do what I tell them" which is not reality even if he had his credentials, let alone when he does not.
5. He walks around barely able to move because of alleged excruciating pain but won't go to the hotel - again before he knows what is going on.
6. All of his early decisions are idiotic. I'm going to go into this bar and demand free food. I'm going to go to this hotel and demand a free room. I'm not going to take a shower. I'm not going to stay in the hospital despite enormous pain.
Pines Preview
Link
Please Wait...