The Gate Thief Author: Orson Scott Card | Language: English | ISBN:
B00AEC9JGA | Format: PDF
The Gate Thief Description
In this sequel to The Lost Gate, bestselling author Orson Scott Card continues his fantastic tale of the Mages of Westil who live in exile on Earth in The Gate Thief, a novel of the Mither Mages.
Here on Earth, Danny North is still in high school, yet he holds in his heart and mind all the stolen outselves of thirteen centuries of gatemages. The Families still want to kill him if they can't control him…and they can't control him. He is far too powerful.
And on Westil, Wad is now nearly powerless—he lost everything to Danny in their struggle. Even if he can survive the revenge of his enemies, he still must somehow make peace with the Gatemage Daniel North.
For when Danny took that power from Loki, he also took the responsibility for the Great Gates. And when he comes face-to-face with the mages who call themselves Bel and Ishtoreth, he will come to understand just why Loki closed the gates all those centuries ago.
At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
- File Size: 923 KB
- Print Length: 384 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0765326582
- Publisher: Tor Books (March 19, 2013)
- Sold by: Macmillan
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00AEC9JGA
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,949 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #29
in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Magic & Wizards - #79
in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Contemporary
- #29
in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Magic & Wizards - #79
in Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Contemporary
I'm not sure how I feel about this book it is muddled in my mind. First I generally have enjoyed books by Orson Scott Card and some of the story was there for me and other aspects just missed the mark.
Things I liked include:
The back story of Bel and Loki and understanding why Loki decided to start eating gates. I enjoyed Loki/Wad's half of the story on Westil trying to help Anonoei get her sons to safety and revenge on Queen Bexoi. The Westil part of the story was very intriguing for me and played out well. The flow was good and I wanted to learn more. Learning more about Mages was cool and Danny figuring out his new powers and coming out to some of his friends all good parts to the story. I also like Anonoei's boys I think that is setting up nicely to turn into something in the next book.
Things I didn't like:
All the introspection and explanation of the Kah and Bah the innerself and outerself I think I just re-fell asleep typing that. Also the addition of even more magic or the whole new Egyptian lore added on top of the Norse lore it just seemed like an overabundance of mythology and then they threw Jesus on top of all that.
But my biggest gripe is why why why does every girl in Danny's life now want to sleep with him? Not only do they want to sleep with him which maybe I might buy into with his new godlike status, but they want to have his baby. What teenage girl in her right mind is looking to sleep with someone in high school just to get pregnant? To me that part was ridiculous and took up way too much time.
The parts of the book I liked I really liked but the parts I hated I absolutely hated. There were some great twists at the end but honestly I was a little bored by then. This was an okay book and I will probably read the last one to see how it all plays out hoping that this is just the middle book syndrome and the third book will be able to rise above the drudgery.
By Robin Snyder
This is the worst OSC book that I've yet to read.
I quite enjoyed the first book, and was quite excited to see this show up on my Kindle a few days ago. Then I read it. Ick.
One of OSC's talents in the past has been writing believable young children. Ender, Peter, and others have all been very believable characters. With this book I'm afraid Card has Jumped the Shark.
Our Gatemage here is nothing but a whiny caricature of a person. His only personality trait is to be exactly what Card needs in any given scene. Need a morally snotty teen? Check. Need a mouthy kid? Check. Need a respectful kid? Check. Danny completely morphs from scene to scene and has absolutely no internal consistency.
Add the exceptionally weak plotting, a stupid and clearly very rushed "We're on a deadline here!" ending, and you have all the makings for a pretty horrible book.
By Chris Mullins
The Gate Thief Preview
Link
Please Wait...