• About
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact

Free epub

Search Free Epub Books Look Up Quick Results Now!

  • Home
  • How To Download
  • Computer
  • Engineering
  • Medical
  • Mystery
Home » Science Fiction » Free Epub The Annotated Hobbit

Free Epub The Annotated Hobbit

admin
Add Comment
Science Fiction
Monday, July 8, 2013

The Annotated Hobbit

Author: J.R.R. Tolkien | Language: English | ISBN: 0618134700 | Format: PDF

The Annotated Hobbit Description

Review

Not only fascinating, but useful. It makes of The Hobbit a kind of Tolkien handbook.
The Washington Post

Hobbit fans will treasure it.
The Denver Post

About the Author

Douglas A. Anderson, a leading American Tolkien scholar, is acknowledged as the worldwide expert on the textual history of The Hobbit. He has contributed the text notes for all Houghton Mifflin Tolkien editions for more than a decade. He is also a bookseller, formerly in Ithaca, New York, now in northern Indiana.


J.R.R. TOLKIEN (1892-1973) is the creator of Middle-earth and author of such classic and extraordinary works of fiction as The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. His books have been translated into more than fifty languages and have sold many millions of copies worldwide.
See all Editorial Reviews
  • Product Details
  • Table of Contents
  • Reviews
  • Hardcover: 399 pages
  • Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; Annotated edition (August 16, 2002)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0618134700
  • ISBN-13: 978-0618134700
  • Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 8 x 1.1 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
`The Annotated Hobbit', annotated by bookseller Douglas A. Anderson is published by J.R.R. Tolkien's American publisher, Houghton Mifflin (important because it means the cover of this book uses the same art as the cover of the most popular hard-covered American edition of the Hobbit, published in the 1960's).

Let me be perfectly clear that this is first and foremost a review of the Annotation, not of the novel, `The Hobbit' itself. I have an almost reverential respect for the original novel, having bought my first copy of this work on a cold February day in 1965 in the Lehigh University bookstore. I began reading it on the bus on the way home from my college classes at about 1:00 PM, and simply could not put it down. I finished reading it at about 8:30 that evening. The experience is not unlike some cinematic versions of experiences like Dorothy's opening the door of her Kansas house to step out onto the grass of Oz. I am totally unsurprised by a statement in this annotation that says that the entire first page of `The Hobbit' has been reproduced in `Bartlett's Familiar Quotations'. There are few more magical or evocative openings to novels I have read in my whole life. And, while I can appreciate that there are adult readers, my Hemingway loving uncle being one of them, who simply `don't get it', I am often driven to the point of dispair when I can't interest young readers or listeners in `The Hobbit'. Like `Winnie the Pooh' and `Alice in Wonderland', I really think these are books designed much more to bring back memories of childhood in adults than to engage young readers. And oh how much I enjoy reading `The Hobbit' aloud!

But back to this Annotation'.

The Annotated Hobbit Preview

Link

Please Wait...

0 Response to "Free Epub The Annotated Hobbit"

← Newer Post Older Post → Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Label

  • Art
  • Biography
  • Business
  • Children
  • Comics
  • Computer
  • Cookbooks
  • Craft
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Health
  • History
  • Humor
  • Literature
  • Medical
  • Mystery
  • Parenting
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Science
  • Science Fiction
  • Self Help
  • Sports
  • Teen
  • Travel

Page

  • Home
Powered by Blogger.
Copyright 2013 Free epub - All Rights Reserved Design by Mas Sugeng - Powered by Blogger and Google