Ultramarathon Man: Confession of an All-Night Runner Author: | Language: English | ISBN:
B000LR7EY2 | Format: EPUB
Ultramarathon Man: Confession of an All-Night Runner Description
Karnazes reveals the mind-boggling adventures of his nonstop treks through the hell of Death Valley, the incomprehensible frigidity of the South Pole, and the breathtaking beauty of the mountains and canyons of the Sierra Nevada.
- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 6 hours and 56 minutes
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Unabridged
- Publisher: Recorded Books
- Audible.com Release Date: December 7, 2006
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000LR7EY2
Dean Karnazes is a phenomenon: frequent guest on television and radio shows; subject of numerous articles and magazine cover shots; regular columnist in Men's Health magazine; popular keynote speaker. Karnazes has been acclaimed in various magazines as perhaps "the fittest man in the world," "the ultimate running specimen," "the quintessential ultramarathoner," an "ultrarunning legend," and "the perfect beast." And it all was kicked off by his best-selling book, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner.
Karnazes refers to himself as an ordinary person with no special talent, who has performed amazing feats simply by dint of high ambition and unwavering determination.
Karnazes' resolve is indisputable. But he underrates his inherent abilities. His book describes various endurance exploits accomplished as a child and youth, as well as the unusually quick progress he made when he seriously took up long distance running as an adult. These are signs of a person who has exceptional natural stamina. Determination (and even diligent training) alone would not be sufficient to produce his results as an endurance athlete.
Karnazes also has rare energy. He writes of frequently running much of the night during the weekends and then spending active days with his family. He says he often gets by on four hours of sleep per night for extended periods. He tells about running for almost 48 hours straight, covering 200 miles, and then devoting several hours to dash about an amusement park with his kids. Most people could not come close to matching his vitality, no matter how resolute they might be.
While Karnazes may consider himself an ordinary person, he asserts that he is accomplishing things that are extraordinary, even unprecedented.
I finally got around to reading Dean Karnazes book. Here are my
totally unsolicitated opinions.
Dean's an amazing runner. Ten times Western States finisher,
Badwater winner, adventure races, 262 miles "non-stop". He's a great
athlete. Unfortunately he wants everyone to know that. His book is
all about, well, Dean. Dean's runs, Dean's adventures, Dean's
travels. etc. It begins to come across as ego-stroking. Yeah, I know
Dean ran Western States, but who else was there? Throughout the
book, Dean never mentions any other ultrarunners. Don't Tim
Tweitmeyer or Anne Trason at least deserve a word or two? But it
goes beyond running to telling us how great Dean is. I got tired of
reading "I was ripped like a prize-fighter" (Actual quote: who
writes like that?) "I have 2% bodyfat" "I was taking my body to
places it hadn't been before" I did this, I did that aren't I great?
You also learn how many women hit on Dean, that Dean was named one
of Sports Illustrated's sexiest athletes (complete with a picture to
show you why), and that Dean has the chutzpa to title his book
Ultramarathon Man. (Psst, Ain't Dean Great?)
Dean runs 262 miles, Dean goes to the South Pole, Dean's the man. It
just comes across to me as incredibly self-serving and almost
arrogant to write a 279 page book about, well, yourself.
I can think of a dozen ultrarunners I'd like to see books from, but
that's not going to happen because they don't have the ego, the
speaking ability, or, yes, the good looks to go on a national book
tour or on Letterman. Dean does.
Ultramarathon Man: Confession of an All-Night Runner Preview
Link
Please Wait...