The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem Author: | Language: English | ISBN:
B0000544VI | Format: PDF
The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem Description
In
The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem, Nathaniel Branden presents the culminating achievement of a lifetime of clinical practice and research. In this penetrating and provocative program, he conclusively demonstrates the importance of self-esteem in our quest for psychological health, personal achievement, and positive relationships.
"Yet how do we gain true self-esteem?" Dr. Branden introduces the six pillars of self-esteem - six action-based practices for daily living. Here for the first time are simple but powerful exercises for increasing personal awareness and effectiveness. Exploring the importance of self-esteem in the workplace, parenting, education, psychotherapy, and society, Dr. Branden provides guidelines for those responsible for fostering self-esteem in others - and shows why a culture of self-esteem is imperative for survival in the 21st century.
- Audible Audio Edition
- Listening Length: 3 hours
- Program Type: Audiobook
- Version: Abridged
- Publisher: Macmillan Audio
- Audible.com Release Date: June 13, 2000
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0000544VI
An interesting passage from this book reads, "Some of the most important things I learned came from thinking about my own mistakes and from noticing what I did that lowered or raised my own self-esteem."
This interests me to reread this, because having first read this book in 1994, I wrote so many detailed introspective notes that I too can say, I've learned a lot from thinking and writing about the "learning lessons" of my life.
And this is a life-time process.
So, what are the 6 Pillars of Self-esteem?
First, I'd like to say that a healthy dose of self-esteem is thinking for yourself, no matter what is going on around you; while you maintain the belief that you deserve to be happy.
And happiness is when you can say that you have more joy than pain in your life.
The 6 pillars are:
1. Live Consciously
This requires us to be fully in the present moment. And for
most, this takes a bit of practice, because many of us are
conditioned to disown the here and now, to survive what we
have thought that we cannot handle.
2. Accept Yourself
Yes. You have flaws and attributes. You also have the
opportunity to enhance who you are, by accepting everything
about yourself. In fact, the only way to enhance who you
are is to accept yourself.
3. Take Responsibility for Your Experiences
Through my journey, I have learned to be in conversations
where I say to myself, "It comes down to 'this is where you
end, and I begin,'"
Saying such an affirmation has helped me to congruently say
what I will and will not experience. And this is quite
liberating not only to myself, but also to my interlocutor
(most of the time)
4.
The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem Preview
Link
Please Wait...