Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes – November 19, 2013 Author: Judith L. London Ph.D. | Language: English | ISBN:
1482375915 | Format: PDF
Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes – November 19, 2013 Description
About the Author
Author of the popular book, "Connecting the Dots: Breakthroughs in Communication as Alzheimer’s Advances" (2009), Dr. Judith London is a licensed psychologist with over 25 years of experience working with people who deal with dementia. Her latest book, "Support for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes" offers comfort and validation for the over 15 million unpaid caregivers, and millions more of paid professionals, who care for those with dementia. Leader of caregiver support groups, speaker for the Alzheimer’s Association, and presenter at numerous conferences, Dr. London is the expert for the WebMd Alzheimer’s Community.
- Paperback: 166 pages
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (November 19, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1482375915
- ISBN-13: 978-1482375916
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 0.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 10.9 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
"I took care of my wife; I divorced her."
That sentiment is all too common among caregiving husbands of wives with Alzheimer's, Dementia and serious brain cancer. One study showed that at onset there were 57 wives taking care of husbands with those conditions and 43 husbands caring for their wives. After one year, half those couples were divorced, but there were 80 caregiving wives for 20 caregiving husbands. After ten years, there were 99 caregiving wives for each caregiving husband. As a 34 year veteran of caring for my late wife with serious brain cancer, I can confirm that I have rarely found a husband with more than 25 years of experience in those particular trenches.
For the past 18 months I have been mentoring caregiving husbands with some success. At first it was terribly difficult; the angst and difficulty they felt reminded me of some of my own challenges and the deep emotions that I felt. As time and successes have gone by, however, I've started to feel great joy in helping husbands meet caregiving challenges; if you are a husband and in the trenches, feel free to contact me at the email address on my Amazon Profile - absolutely no charge.
During my mentoring, I have been following the literature and have posted several reviews on books that I found particularly helpful. They appear at the end of this Review in the first Comment. Judith London's Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes is one of the most helpful book in this genre in my opinion, not only for husbands but I suspect (without any first hand knowledge) for other caregivers as well.
Support for Alzheimer's and Dementia Caregivers: The Unsung Heroes – November 19, 2013 Preview
Link
Please Wait...