Shiver Trilogy Boxed Set Author: Visit Amazon's Maggie Stiefvater Page | Language: English | ISBN:
0545326869 | Format: PDF
Shiver Trilogy Boxed Set Description
Review
Praise for Shiver #1 New York Times Bestseller
*"A lyrical tale of alienated werewolves and first love... Stiefvater skillfully increases the tension throughout; her take on werewolves is interesting and original while her characters are refreshingly willing to use their brains to deal with the challenges they face." — Publishers Weekly, starred review
"This novel is perfect for Twilight fans or a Romeo and Juliet list. It is sensuous, intense, riveting, and so very satisfying." — Voice of Youth Advocates
"Readers will be able to enjoy Stiefvater's fast-paced storytelling and dedication to the old-fashioned art of creating a believable and enduring romance. Shiver is beautifully written, even poetic at times, and a perfect indulgence for readers of all ages." — Bookpage.com
Praise for Linger
#1 New York Times Bestseller
"This sequel's poetic prose skillfully captures the four teens' longings for love, forgetting, remembering, righting wrongs and life itself. The riveting ending will leave readers panting for the next sequel." — Kirkus Reviews
"This riveting narrative, impossible to put down, is not only an excellent addition to the current fangs and fur craze, but is also a beautifully written romance that, along with Shiver, will have teens clamoring for the third and final entry." — Voice of Youth Advocates
"Leaves readers hanging in anticipation for the next installment." — Booklist
About the Author
Maggie Stiefvater is the #1
New York Times bestselling author of the novels
Shiver,
Linger, and
Forever. She is also the author of
Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception/ and
Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie. She lives in Virginia with her husband and their two children.
- Series: Wolves of Mercy Falls
- Hardcover
- Publisher: Scholastic Press; Box edition (July 12, 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0545326869
- ISBN-13: 978-0545326865
- Product Dimensions: 8.7 x 5.9 x 4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
Right now we're being inundated in paranormal romances -- including quite a few about werewolves. But Maggie Stiefvater's "Shiver Trilogy" has a delicate, wintry quality that most paranormal romances lack, as well as a romance that tosses aside "Twilight"-style crushy obsessions in favor of a gentle, sweet romance threatened by nature itself as well as humanity.
In "Shiver," Grace has been visited by a yellow-eyed wolf every winter. When a teenage boy is killed by wolves, and his body is stolen from the morgue, she somehow knows that supernatural stuff is afoot.
When a bunch of illegal hunters try to kill the local wolf pack, Grace rushes in to save her wolf -- and finds "her wolf" as a wounded, naked human boy. It turns out that cold triggers his transformations, while "warm makes me me. Makes me Sam." But as the cold approaches the town again, Grace may lose Sam in more than one way -- if she isn't destroyed as well.
"Linger" picks up with Sam and Grace trying to have a semi-normal HUMAN life -- getting a job, thinking about college, and fending off a police investigation into Olivia's disappearance. But Cole is determined to lose his pain in his wolf form, until he inadvertently stumbles into Isabel's life, and she finds herself drawn to him. And Grace's happiness at having Sam back is overshadowed by a mysterious illness, which may draw her even closer to the world of the werewolves.
Finally, "Forever" has Grace returning after her first winter as a wolf, still unstable. She hides in Cole and Sam's house, and for a brief time the young lovers are blissfully happy. But someone has been killed by one of the wolves, and Isabel's father has used his influence to have the entire pack killed.
I am reviewing this series all together because they flow perfectly from one to another and I read them over a period of two days. I love, love, love this series so I am going to talk about them a lot and I will probably give things away, so I am putting a spoiler alert on most of my review. For those of you who have never read the series and don't like spoilers, I will share a few of the adjectives that I will probably use in my review. Beautiful. Lyrical. Unique. Abstract. Bittersweet. Tragic. Joyful. Perfect. Pure. Amazing. Heartbreaking. Breathtaking. Lovely, absolutely lovely. I may use some of these adjectives multiple times to get my point across. I cannot recommend this series highly enough.
********** SPOILER ALERT! **********
Shiver is such a perfect title for the first book in this series. It sends shivers down your spine and all over every inch of skin as you read. The first thing I noticed when I opened Shiver was that the text was a lovely shade of blue that matched the cover. I thought that this would bother me, but within two chapters I realized that I liked it. It was another thing that made this book unique.
The second thing I noticed was the beautiful writing style. I could drown in those wonderful, lyrical words. It is written in the alternating points of view of Grace Brisbane and Sam Roth. Both are distinctly different individuals with their own unique style. I loved them both, but Sam in particular. His side of the story is so heartbreaking, his words so abstract and beautiful. When I read about his past and what his parents had done to him, I wanted to cry. I don't think I have ever become so invested in a character so quickly before, but Sam's vulnerability and simple dreams captured me immediately.
Shiver Trilogy Boxed Set Preview
Link
Please Wait...